Monday, March 9, 2009

Pick a Season Already!

It is snowing. Again. After the three days of beautiful, warm spring-like weather. I know the joke in NH is "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it'll change" but come on! Is it any wonder people can't seem to be able to get over their colds? we have two or three days of lovely, warm weather, followed by a week of cold, wet, snowy, sometimes below zero, followed by random days of warm. I fucking love New Hampshire in the winter...
As I sit here in the DC, barely hearing a thing due to congestion (my ear isn't hurting much, but I still wanna go to health services, just in case), watching people walk through the snow, I feel... disconnected. Maybe it's because I don't put myself out there as much as I should, maybe it's because I am old and set in my ways. I don't know. Sometimes it really hits me: I'm 30. I live in a dorm and eat all my meals at the DC. The oldest person I regularly hang with is 21. I feel like I am somehow intruding on a world that is not mine. I felt it at Midnight Madness back in the fall, I felt it at the talent show, and every now and then, I feel it when I am around large groups of people. I know that I have every right to participate, and that it's actually cool that I do, it's just... I know this is not, in an anthropological and social sense, my place to be. Yet, I fit in fine. Does this make me special, adaptable, open minded? Or does it make me emotionally stunted and lame? I think the jury's still out on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment